If you’re an avid Texas Treats blog reader, than you know we love a good weekend road trip! What we also know is that getting out of town is not always so easy. Though the beach waves are calling our names, we unfortunately cannot always answer the call. However, there are a few “vacation-y” things we can do while staying in the comfort (and ease) of our own homes. Here are a few simple steps on making your Staycation feel like a true Vacation.
1. UNPLUG. Gasp! What?! Staying online and in touch with friends, family, and the never-ending-info-producing world around us seems like a must. By “simply” unplugging for the weekend and taking a break from social media, emails, entertaining news articles, and even fun games, you may find a much needed break that you didn’t even realize you needed. The Internet and all your many friends and updates will still be there come Monday. Giving unplugging a chance!
2. DIVE IN! Some say that simply being near water reduces your stress level. While we don’t have scientific data to support the effect of being near water from a hose or a baby pool, we believe it’s got to do some good! We know it’s HOT here in Texas, so find some water, a hose, a local pool, a super-soaker or a slip and slide and park yourself under the shade and let the kids run wild – and you may just need to join in the fun, too!
3. TRY SOMETHING NEW. How many times have you driven by that cute restaurant and said to yourself, “I need to try that someday.” Try it this weekend! Whether it’s a new clothing store, restaurant, outdoor park, museum, movie, or even saying hello to a new neighbor, this is the weekend to try it out. What do you have to lose?
4. RENT, ORDER IN, REPEAT. What we like about going out of town is that we don’t have to serve ourselves. Why not apply that during your Staycation? Rent movies online, order food from your favorite local restuarant, and be served in your own home! And who says you should only do it one night? 🙂
5. SMILE! Smile because you’ve saved money this weekend by staying close to home. Smile when you think of the time you saved by not having to pack up the car and think through many miniscule details. Smile because you unplugged, dove in, tried something new, and felt pampered all in the comfort of your own home. One of the best things we can do to relieve stress is to laugh – so smile!
We hope you have a great weekend! Don’t forget to check out Texas Treats for any Texas-themed Gifts, Snacks and Sweets you may need to make a Staycation even better!