If you are one of the millions who has merrily skipped through the State Fair of Texas (unless you’re too mature to admit it) then you know that it’s no ordinary event. A cloud of happiness and laughter lingers over the fair grounds from Sept 28 – Oct 21, giving you plenty of time to try every unimaginable fried piece of food. Can’t imagine something being fried? It’s fried at the State Fair of Texas.
Today, the topic of fair food creates much more buzz than simply enjoying your Corny Dogs or Turkey Legs. Willing to shed some light on the subject, the Huffington Post published an article titled, “State Fair Foods: The Most Ridiculous Concoctions Of All Time.” We selected a few of our favorites to share with you. Please join us in giving a virtual thumbs up or thumbs down if you’ve ever tried it and liked it – or if you ever would. (Click Here for Images)
- Deep-Fried Kool Aid: Kool Aid, a classic kid thirst-quencher jam-packed with flavor and sugar could only be made better by… frying it? The San Diego County Fair sure thought so!
- Fried Ice Cream Sandwich: The Florida State Fair thought of this treasure: a cheeseburger topped with a deep-friend ball of ice cream! Hold the pickles?
- Spaghetti Sticks: Spaghetti noodles, tomato sauce, mozzarella and parmesan cheese wrapped in pizza dough and fried to perfection. This Minnesota State Fair invention sounds like it has some real potential!
- Hot Beef Sundae: Need we say anymore? This one-of-a-kind concoction was found at the Tennessee State Fair in 2011.
- Chicken Fried Bacon: Though considered “completely unnecessary” by the article, tasters at the State Fair of Texas thought otherwise and voted it “Best Tasting” in 2008!
- Pulled Pork Parfait: A layer of pork, a layer of ice cream, a layer of pork, a layer of ice cream. Being prepared seems essential for this South Florida Fair creation, as you wouldn’t want your taste buds thinking that meat was something sweet!
- Deep Fried Butter: Us Texans are well familiar with this delicacy that hails from the Iowa State Fair. We voted it “Most Creative” in 2009!
- Deep Fried Bubblegum: Another Texas favorite! This super sweet delight was voted “Most Creative” at the State Fair of Texas last year (2011)!
- Chocolate-Covered Corn Dog: No need to make a mess with mustard or ketchup, this wholesome combination of hot dog and chocolate dreamed up by the Orange County Fair simplifies your dinner and dessert needs!
The countdown is on, only 28 days until the gates of the State Fair of Texas swing wide open and Big Tex greets you with a smile and a wave!