Just when you think you’ve seen and tasted it all, the State Fair of Texas “WOWs” your taste buds one more time. Every year the fair boasts new and innovative fried foods that one might not ever think imaginable. How do you fry butter? We think that’s a great question! But it’s been done and overtly enjoyed at last year’s State Fair. Which begs the question – how are they going to top last year?
According to a recent Star-Telegram article titled, “Deep-fried cactus, cinnamon rolls among finalists for new State Fair food” we are all in for a treat. There’s some serious competition looming: Chicken-Fried Cactus Bites vs. Fried Bacon Cinnamon Roll. Sounds tasty, don’t they?!
The Top Finalists for the Big Tex Choice Awards include:
- Chicken Fried Cactus Bites – Described as “hand-picked prickly pear cactus pads, thinly sliced, chicken battered and deep-fried to perfection” these savory-sweet concoctions will be served with a sweet & spicy secret jalapeno ranch alongside an agave nectar dipping sauce.
- Deep-Fried Divine Chocolate Tres Leches Cake – Can’t be anything wrong with this one, huh? Described as “a slice of chocolate tres leches cake soaked in buttermilk batter, and fried to perfection” might better be described as a slice of heaven!
- Deep Fried Jambalaya – Introducing Cajun flare to the state fair, will be this jambalaya created from “shrimp, Cajun sausage and seasonings, then coated in lightly seasoned flour and fried to a golden perfection.” We’re guessing no spoon!
- Deep Fried Mac-N-Cheese Slider – This one gets our taste buds watering. Described as a “three-cheese mac…baked until golden brown, battered in bread crumbs, deep-fried until crisp on the outside, warm and gooey on the inside.” Served on a slider bun, life doesn’t get any better!
- Fried Bacon Cinnamon Roll – It’s the best of breakfast combined into one! Described as “deliciously fresh cinnamon roll dipped in a special sweet pancake batter, rolled in crispy fried bacon crumbles, deep-fried and sprinkled with powdered sugar.”
- Fried Pork Wing – Served after being “slow-cooked for six hours then lightly deep-fried, rolled and tossed in a smoked bacon chipotle glaze,” this one sounds like a winner to us!
- Picnic on a Stick – You won’t need the red and white checkered table cloth for this one! It’s a picnic on the go! Described as “pieces of delicious spicy fried chicken alternate tater tots and slices of dill pickle. Repeated three times on a stick then dipped in batter, rolled in bread crumbs, and fried until golden brown,” both adults and kids will be happy!
The countdown is on! Here at Texas Treats we can’t wait for the State Fair of Texas to carry those nostalgic sounds of family and friends having fun to our ears! Here’s to hopin’ we feel some fall temperatures, too!