This upcoming Presidents Day we will honor all of our past Commander-in-Chiefs. As Texans, though, we especially celebrate those Presidents with Texas roots! Before we start: do you know what 4 Presidents have ties to Texas? Here are some obscure facts that you might not know about Dwight D. Eisenhower, Lyndon B. Johnson, George H.W. Bush, and George W. Bush. (Did you guess the right ones?!)
President Dwight D. “Ike” Eisenhower:
- The first Texas-born President of the United States, he spent the first two years of his life in the “little d”, Denison, TX.
- “Ike” played West Point football. He was later forced to quit because one of the most famous athletes, Jim Thorpe, tackled and injured the would-be President’s knee… OUCH!
- “Ike” initiated Air Force One, he was the first US President to preside over 50 states, and had a special golfing green placed on the White House grounds so he could practice his long shot.
President Lyndon B. Johnson:
- Another native born Texan from the small town of Stonewall, Texas.
- In high school he dated a girl named Kitty Clyde. Kitty’s father wouldn’t let her date Lyndon because he thought he was going nowhere in life. Later, President Johnson picked up Kitty and her husband and took them for a ride on Air Force One!
- As president it was his routine to turn off all the lights in the White House so he wouldn’t waste taxpayers money.
- Everyone in his family had the initials LBJ (Lyndon Bain, Lady Byrd, Lynda Byrd, and Luci Baines Johnson).
President George H.W. Bush:
- Bush was not born in Texas, but got here as soon as he could.
- He was the captain of the Yale baseball team, and can still be found cheering on the Houston Astros.
- The day President Bush was inaugurated he invited his whole family to spend the night in the White House, extra beds had to be put up in the bedrooms.
- President Bush once joked, “I’m President of the United States, and I’m not going to eat any more broccoli!”
President George W. Bush:
- George W. Bush was not born in Texas, but considers himself a Texan at heart.
- Like his father, “W” is a huge baseball fan, so much so, he bought the Texas Rangers.
- He was the first president to be inaugurated in the 21st century.
- While President he ran a marathon, his time 3:44:52, not bad.
- Bush once said, “Some folks look at me and see a certain swagger, which in Texas is called walking.”
Don’t these four Presidents just make you proud to be an American? And Texas ones at that! Be sure to check out our Overstock Sale! Lasso up our special prices on gift sets while you can! 5%-15% off select Gift Sets while supplies last!