There is never an end to the amazing facts there are to know about Texas! As a state so big, it’d be impossible to cover every little inch and detail. We’ve done a little research and decided these fun facts were worth sharing. Adapted from another Texas-loving site, we hand-picked the best of the best, picking the ones that make us Texans proud (let’s try not to let our pride swell to the size of Texas, though!).
- The first word spoken from the moon, July 20, 1969, was “Houston…” (Can’t think of a better way to start a sentence!)
- King Ranch in South Texas is larger than Rhode Island. (Yee haw!)
- The name “Texas” comes from the Hasini Indian word “tejas” meaning friends. (Ain’t that nice?!)
- Tejas is not Spanish for Texas. (Glad we could finally settle this one!)
- The first domed stadium in the U.S. was the Astrodome in Houston. (Trendsetting at its best!)
- The state’s cattle population is estimated to be near 16 million. (Explains why we have to moooo-ve over to make some room!)
- More species of bats live in Texas than in any other part of the United States. (This one kinda makes you bat crazy, doesn’t it?!)
- El Paso is closer to Needles, California than it is to Dallas. (The better piece of trivia is knowing why someone would go to California when they could stay in Texas?!)
- Texas possesses three of the top ten most populous cities in the United States: Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio. (Go BIG! Or go home.)
- Texas boasts the nation’s largest herd of whitetail deer. (Oh deer. Just one more reason to love Texas!)
How’d you do? Did you know any of these amazing facts?! We would love to hear from you if you did or you have some new ones to add! As you know we love Texans and Texas and especially the taste of Texas. Have fun this weekend sharing these fun facts while enjoying some Texas Treats. It’s the weekend, go enjoy!