Did you know that May is National Salsa Month? This fun fact may change your mind about how much respect you show that delicious sauce before you eat it! (Usually it just goes on a chip and down the hatch!) In fact, salsa goes back many a year. This National Food Holidays blog tells us,“‘Salsa’ is Spanish for ’sauce’ and was named so by the Spaniards during the 1500’s. However Salsa’s history is much older than this, it was a favorite condiment of the ancient Aztecs, Mayans and Inca’s as early as 5200 BC.” Salsa has come a long way since its beginning. Now offered in a myriad of flavors and ingredient combinations, “‘the first salsa consisted of chopped tomatoes, chilis, beans and ground seeds such as squash seeds and was often used as a topping on meats such as turkey and fish.'”
Like honoring an important figure in history, with much-deserved respect we tip our cowboy hats to salsa this month. Here are 5 reasons you should tip your hats to salsa, too.
- 500 years later, Salsa still trumps as one of the greatest condiments ever created.
- For as much flavor as it adds to any meal, it is low fat and low calorie. Yee-haw, bring it on!
- How many things can you say goes great with tortilla chips, eggs, salads AND by itself straight from the jar? Salsa. Only salsa can do all this.
- The level of heat involved can satisfy the most mild of people to the most fiery. Salsa aims to please!
- What causes a more automatic response than this: when tortilla chips sit lonely on the table, someone is asking, “Where’s the salsa?! I need my salsa!”
Don’t you see now? We tend to take for granted the power of salsa. Which is why we love May! It gives all of us a chance to say “thank you” to this powerful sauce that has stood the test of time, always aims to please, packs a punch – without packing on the calories. Just another reason to love Texas, Chips and Salsa is a Texas staple! Be sure to celebrate this month by getting it onto your table!